Kingsmead College and RMB Private Bank are hosting the first Kingsmead RMB Private Bank Book Fair on Saturday the 2nd of June 2012. Exclusive Books is the official retailer partner for the Book Fair, which will ensure that a wonderfully wide selection of books will be on sale. The Book Fair is open to neighbouring schools, the broader Johannesburg community and anyone with a love of books.
With the understanding that literacy and education are the cornerstones of creating a legacy for future leaders, the Book Fair includes a high profile line-up of the country’s most distinguished local authors and media personalities. They will share their passion for literature and celebrate literacy by participating in an exciting programme of events aimed at children, teenagers and adults. The event includes author talks and workshops, book signings, interactive sessions and story-telling.
A percentage of the proceeds from the Book Fair will go to the Make a Difference Foundation (MAD), who aims to make a positive impact in the lives of disadvantaged, academically talented young South Africans. Francois Pienaar, MAD Founding Chairman, says, “MAD aims to develop high performance individuals who, in themselves, are role models who inspire others, and who will support each other in the future by giving back to others. The Kingsmead Book Fair is a good platform from which we can highlight the importance that literacy and education plays in building the leaders of tomorrow.”
“It is very rare that you are able to have access to authors of this calibre under one roof. This event, which we hope will become a flagship book event for Johannesburg, brings together families from across our community for a day of sharing and learning. We are very proud to be partnering with MAD in ensuring the legacy we create today is carried forward to our future leaders,” says Lisa Kaplan, Headmistress of Kingsmead College.
“Our vision for this sponsorship is to create a passion for literature and learning through an accessible, informative and engaging platform. RMB Private Bank ensures the initiatives we partner with work towards leaving a lasting legacy in the communities in which we operate and I am very proud to be supporting the Book Fair,” adds Gavin Tarr, Head of RMB Private Bank.
Here are some of the titles you can expect to find at the Book Fair:
A full list of authors and facilitators who will be participating in the event:
- Gareth Cliff
- Michele Magwood
- Jenny Crwys-Williams
- Sue Grant-Marshall
- David O’ Sullivan
- Kate Sidley
- James Motlatsi
- Jassy Mackenzie (Author of Random Violence)
- Andrew Brown (Author of Solace)
- Jeremy Gordin (Author of Zuma: A Biography)
- Mandy Wiener (Author of Killing Kebble)
- Rian Malan (Author of My Traitor’s Heart)
- Heidi Holland (Author of Dinner with Mugabe)
- Judge Edwin Cameron (Author of Witness To Aids)
- Jenny Hobbs (Author of The Miracle of Crocodile Flats)
- Mike Nicol (Author of Revenge Trilogy)
- Edyth Bulbring (Author of Melly, Fatty and Me)
- Piet Byleveld (Author of Dossier of a Serial Sleuth)
- James Hendry (Author of A Year in the Wild)
- Denis Beckett (Author of Radical Middle)
- Keith Kirsten (Author of Gardening with Keith Kirsten)
- Jane Griffiths (author of Jane’s Delicious Garden)
- Steven Boykey Sidley (Author of Entanglement)
- Craig Higginson (Author of The Landscape Painter)
- Cynthia Jele (Author of Happiness is a Four Letter Word)
- Bobby Godsell (Author of Do It)
- Chris van Wyk (Author of Eggs to lay, Chickens to hatch)
- McIntosh Polela (Author of My Father, My Monster)
- Annabel Frere (Author of Help! There’s a stove in my kitchen)
- Sarah Graham (Author of Bitten)
- Tabitha Hume (Author of The X Diet)
- Nikki Bush (Author of Future-proof your Child)
Tickets are available from Computicket at a cost of R80 for adults and R50 for children. Food and refreshments will be on sale at the event. Visit http://kingsmead.co.za/bookfair/Programme.html for further information about the programme.